Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Norwegian Getaway chartered, inaugural cruise canceled

Norwegian Getaway chartered, inaugural cruise canceled

By Tom Stieghorst
Getaway hullThe unfinished Norwegian Getaway has been chartered by a private company during the week leading up to the 2014 Super Bowl, and will make a transatlantic voyage in January to New York City instead of Miami, Norwegian Cruise Line said.

As a result, a previously scheduled inaugural cruise on Feb. 1 from Miami has been canceled.

The Getaway is being completed at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany. It is scheduled to sail year-round from Miami after it is delivered in January.

Norwegian confirmed that its initial 16-day transatlantic cruise from Rotterdam to Miami, beginning Jan. 16, is now a 10-day cruise from Southampton, England, to New York.

The first Eastern Caribbean sailing has been pushed back to Feb. 8.

On Feb. 2, the National Football League is scheduled to play its Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., the first such game to be played outdoors in a cold-weather destination.

Norwegian said the charter extends from Jan. 29 to Feb. 5.

In confirming the new itineraries for the Getaway, Norwegian did not link the private charter to the Super Bowl.