Saturday, 15 February 2014

Work halted on Panama Canal expansion

Work halted on Panama Canal expansion

By Tom Stieghorst
The Panama Canal Authority said almost all activity has ceased on the project to widen the canal, amid a payments dispute with the contractor.

A consortium led by Spain’s Sacyr Vallehermoso is seeking reimbursement for cost overruns of more than $1 billion.

Two weeks of negotiations have not produced a resolution, the authority said.

Canal Administrator Jorge Quijano said the authority continues to try to find a solution, but stressed that the contractor must resume normal activity, which is critical during the dry season in Panama.

The widening project had been scheduled for completion in mid-2015. Current canal passage is not affected.